Precious Dylan,
I can still say with 100% certainty that nothing in my lifetime has affected me the way you do. You are amazing, you are wonderful, and you make me laugh when I just don’t feel like it. And you push me in ways I never knew were possible. I always described myself as an easy going, laid back, go with the flow type of person. You have made me question my strength and curse my weaknesses. You have helped me to discover the highs and lows of myself that I have never seen before. You, my little tyrant, have made me a stronger person. It truly has been an amazing experience.
Sleep has still been very much an issue this year. I know so many things have happened in this year, but as I sit here trying to sum it all up…lack of sleep is the first thing that comes to mind. Daddy and I were talking recently about whether or not we would consider having a third child. I figure if we were going to it might as well be now, while we are still used to getting up several times a night. But, I think we have decided that we are just as happy as we can be with both of you.
This being the day after your surgery, I am still not sure what to expect as far a sleeping goes. Right now, I really don’t care much as long as I never have to go through you having surgery again. It is a heart wrenching experience to think of you “asleep” and feeling like I have no control over your well being. But, being who you are you make most situations fun! Daddy and I had a blast waiting with you before surgery. You are just such a goof ball and could make the most serious of people crack up with just a look. I hope you always carry this ability. As difficult as times can be, they could never outweigh the moments where you are just being silly little Dylan.
As the next year of your life begins, I am hoping for increased vocabulary. Most often your communication comes out in the form of screaming what you want. Imagine our lack of sanity!! J With all of the trouble you have had with ear infections, your vocabulary is a little behind. I know this is just as frustrating for you as it is for everyone else and I look forward to seeing and hearing all the things that are ahead for you. I pray for the healing of your ears and the restoration of your peace. And of course, I pray for sleep! Sleep for us all!
I love you so much it seems difficult to express in words. If I could describe the feeling my heart gets when I think of you it might do my feelings justice. But there are no words. You are my silly Dylan and I adore you!
Notes (1year to 2 years):
End of April:
1. So cute playing outside with your sister, though you get frustrated by your limitations and have many accidents.
2. Bed time and ear infections are 100% better.
3. You love making sounds – “vroom vroom”
4. You can take a header outside, scratch up your face and not shed a tear, but don’t pick you up when you want and suffer the wrath of Dylan.
13 months:
1. Realizing you can communicate in your own way. You seem so thrilled when we “get it”.
2. Starting to mimic sounds and songs.
3. The battles begin! Very strong-willed. Family doesn’t understand why sometimes we decide not to attend certain functions. But, we know most times all you will do is cry or scream and sometimes it is just not worth it.
4. Says “thank you”, “bye-bye”, “boo”, “hi, Dilly”, and singing some lyrics to Freddy Bear song.
14 months:
1. Started waking again in the middle of the night. Probably teeth. Hopefully teeth.
1. Paw Paw passed away. You and Maryn went camping with Uncle Ben and Aunt Jamie while mommy and daddy went to be with the family.
June:
1. Moved Maryn into your room to share. Daddy was super nervous about this!
2. Still a tornado, but the cutest one I have ever seen. So extreme.
3. Won’t stop eating! The moment the food runs out the screaming begins.
July:
1. Cha-cha-cha! New dance craze!
2. So animated and full of humor.
3. Getting sick to death of Maryn pushing you so you bit her.
4. Sleeping pretty consistently – still waking about once a night.
5. “Peek a boo” – you love to play this during dinner which was ending with food smeared all in your hair and on your face, so I taught you to use the outside of your hands instead.
6. 8 teeth coming in at once! L
7. Did I say bedtime was 100% better? What was I thinking?!
8. Love, love, love to dance.
August:
1. Started going to church again – you cry a little at first but do really well once we are out of sight and all the teachers adore you.
2. Climbing and getting into everything – we have to watch you at all times! Have I mentioned that boys are way different!
3. Dare I say! – sleeping through the night?
4. Won’t stay still for a second – no cuddles except at night.
September:
1. Everyone is waiting to see what you have to say – you don’t seem in a rush to communicate, but it surely will be as amusing as you are when the time comes!
2. Twins (Evan and Jacob) are here!
3. I have never wanted teeth to come in so badly!
4. I hope you always represent yourself as who you are rather than mirroring who people think you are or ought to be.
5. I love watching you dance – you’ve totally got rhythm!
6. Have fallen in love with books!
October:
1. Terrified you are going to choke on food – you never chew things up all the way and you do that little eyebrow raise thing to get it down.
2. Could bottle your scream and market it.
3. When Maryn says “come on Dylan”, you go running to her full speed!
November:
1. Everyone adores your sweet little face! We get comments nearly every place we go about how adorable you are!
2. So self-reliant – you use buckets, chairs, and whatever else you can get your hands on to get the things you want. You are teaching Maryn some pretty good tricks and teaching mommy to stay on my toes!
December:
1. Daddy’s boy – I am feeling a little unnecessary. If daddy gets out of your sight you pitch a fit until you find him. I often leave the room expecting you to follow me, but you don’t. Daddy is king!
2. Perfecting tantrums!
3. Still not sleeping – what gives!?
4. Can say Santa Claus and warble various Christmas songs.
5. Love Christmas lights and Polar Express.
6. Jumping off everything!
7. Christmas at Granny’s – Slept with mommy all weekend and mastered the stairs.
January (2006):
1. So hard to get onto you because you just crack us up!
2. Daddy is fearing for your manhood because you have taken a liking to dressing up in Maryn’s princess clothes.
3. Copy Cat – must do absolutely everything Maryn does and have everything she has.
4. Thank heavens God is on our side – find myself turning to pray often just to get through.
5. Dancing maniac!
February:
1. First snow!
2. Began calling your pacifier “poppy”.
3. Cranky and still waking at night – have decided to stop going to the chiropractor and see an ENT about tubes.
March:
1. You and Maryn have both injured your feet and neither one of you can walk!
2. Surgery is scheduled the day before you bday – I am so nervous but hopeful it will make life so much better for all of us.
3. Having to get onto you is becoming a regular occurrence. It is different with you than Maryn. Maryn cries and seems genuinely hurt which makes me want the process to end as quickly as possible, but you have perfected this endearing (not always!) ability to create laughter. When daddy or I are getting onto you, you will just look down or away until you think it’s safe and then cautiously glance up to see if we are still mad and then you just wait, because you know if you hold our gaze long enough either one of us will start laughing and then you just crack up. We often find ourselves hiding our faces just to get through it. What a frustrating and amazing ability that you have!
My favorite memory:
I would have to say that my favorite times are when you are just being a goof. You just love to do these sporadic moves with your body and make strange noises. Sometimes it just comes out of nowhere. You act silly and fall to the floor, roll around, whatever moves you! You often keep us from being too serious which is such a blessing in life sometimes!
M.A.D.L.Y
No comments:
Post a Comment